whistlestop caboose

The view from the back.

My Photo
Name:

www.zidao.com Apprentice harmonizer, for sheer fun. Journeywoman writer, for work and pleasure. Starting point was Iowa, current stopping point on this journey is Switzerland, with frequent pauses around the world to watch and listen to the crowd, and occasionally make comments.

www.flickr.com
Tulips 2006 for Gran ellengwallace's Tulips 2006 for Gran photoset

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Mexico or New Orleans?

I'm bothered by two news items that I've seen in the past two days, and more bothered when I put them together than when I think about them separately.

The first is a post on a blog that was picked up by Maki Itoh on her site. I'm working with Maki, who is a web developer and designer, on the GenevaLunch site. But this is about a different world, New Orleans several months after Katrina the storm hit, and the lack of patching up there. The place is still a mess, judging by the photos.

I ran a GenevaLunch short report today on President Bush's decision to ship 6,000 National Guard members to the Mexico border to tighten the net on illegal immigration. Sure, the situation is a bit of a mess, but slamming the door in someone's face doesn't usually make them stop wanting to enter, so I doubt this will be effective .

On the other hand, ship those National Guard people to New Orleans and I bet they could clean it up pretty fast, with a little help from more motivated locals, if they saw the troops walk in, mops and hammers in hand.

Just a thought. You might want to reconsider, George.

3 Comments:

Blogger Wandering through Wonderland said...

Brilliant!

5:20 AM  
Blogger christin m p in massachusetts said...

Ellen, I've become so dissatisfied with the job our leaders (if you can call them that) in the U.S. are doing, I often wonder why anyone wants to stay here once they see the reality of it. Which brings me to this: I understand that the Swiss government's immigration policy is very restrictive, but is there somewhere else in Western Europe that has a more lenient policy, while still offering a good quality of life?

1:40 PM  
Blogger whistlestop caboose said...

I think there is a huge gap between the reality of people moving from one country to another and the official information about it. While Switzerland sounds restrictive, more than 25% of the population is foreign, the highest rate in Europe. And elsewhere, the story is the same. I lived in France for 7 years without papers and had I wanted to stay, by then I knew how to go about it. There is rarely a straightforward way. On the other hand, the idea of moving and the reality are also two things that are often worlds apart! I have met soooo many people who arrived in a new country with enthusiasm and plans - and then found the adjustment was very difficult. I would not now consider emigrating anywhere without at least a couple years in the place on a trial basis, and that you can usually do anywhere, if you have an American passport.

I'm inclined to agree about the leaders, and I have a tough time using that word for them!

9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home