whistlestop caboose

The view from the back.

My Photo
Name:

www.zidao.com Apprentice harmonizer, for sheer fun. Journeywoman writer, for work and pleasure. Starting point was Iowa, current stopping point on this journey is Switzerland, with frequent pauses around the world to watch and listen to the crowd, and occasionally make comments.

www.flickr.com
Tulips 2006 for Gran ellengwallace's Tulips 2006 for Gran photoset

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Blog advice and design thoughts from Japan


A corner from Garr Reynolds blog

I was online to track information on ads, Nike and its crisis with ads in China last year in particular. That led me down an alley with many turns that led to a wonderful discovery: Garr Reynolds, sitting in Japan and writing about beautiful design work. His blog is very attractive, for a start.

He mentions that he is giving a presentation on blogging next week and I would love to get on the next plane to Japan to hear him. He will be talking about just some of the issues I brought up in my last post. Surprise, surprise, he mentions Robert Scoble's new book, Naked Conversations, about blogs "changing the way businesses talk with customers. Scoble mentioned it at his Lift06 presentation in Geneva and I promised myself I would buy it, but it slipped down from the top of my "to do" list. Reynolds has just prompted me to head for Amazon to pick it up.

Better yet, as I prepare presentations for visiting MBA students from India, I can turn to Reynold's blog and beautiful web site for advice on good presentations. He is an ex-Apple employee and he teaches design and marketing at a university in Japan. He has a passion for improving presentation designs, a laudable goal.

I have not felt this excited about creating new PowerPoint slides for a long time.

2 Comments:

Blogger Pedro Custódio said...

Hi Ellen! Don't know if you're a mac user or not, but it you are, you should try Keynote application (from Apple), at first you'll find it strangely simple, in the end you'll follow in love and your presentation will pretty much always have that "ahhh" effect!

If you need help on this, feel free to ask! Cheers from Portugal!

11:56 PM  
Blogger whistlestop caboose said...

I'm not yet a Mac user but seriously considering it - my son had one (now dead) and I played with it a bit. And Garr Reynold's words of praise (true, he worked for Apple for a few years), plus praise from designers I know, are very convincing. Yours is another voice. Thanks!

7:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home