whistlestop caboose

The view from the back.

My Photo
Name:

www.zidao.com Apprentice harmonizer, for sheer fun. Journeywoman writer, for work and pleasure. Starting point was Iowa, current stopping point on this journey is Switzerland, with frequent pauses around the world to watch and listen to the crowd, and occasionally make comments.

www.flickr.com
Tulips 2006 for Gran ellengwallace's Tulips 2006 for Gran photoset

Thursday, November 30, 2006

For thirsty people


I was visiting shops to start a Christmas shopping list for GenevaLunch, and had great fun taking pictures. The owner of Le T in Gland, a little town on Lake Geneva, offered me tea, too, so it was a relaxing shopping trip.

2 Comments:

Blogger christin m p in massachusetts said...

I clicked on your Geneva Lunch link, but for some reason Blogger wouldn't let me go there.

I have a question that's going to sound kind of "out of the blue", but I don't know of anyone else who might be able to answer it for me right now.

I was told that Americans traveling to Europe are now being warned not to tell anyone there we are from the U.S., because supposedly a lot of people in the international community do not like Americans right now. We are being told to say we are from Canada. Is it really that bad?

The gap between the rich and the poor in the U.S. is making Western Europe (with its majority middle class) look more and more like the perfect place to emigrate to. How are they receiving us?

4:56 AM  
Blogger whistlestop caboose said...

Christin, thanks for writing. For a start, I don't know why Blogger wouldn't let you in, but it reminds me that I need to upgrade to their newer version, and maybe change the layout while I'm at it. That seems daunting, even if easy, so I put it off and off and off.

Europe: that's crazy. People have been saying this since about 1850 - lots of European have never liked the US, and lots more do. US politics and US tourists are not usually lumped together, although there are always exceptions. I've travelled all over the world with a US passport and had great conversations with people, including those who don't like American policy. Ignore whoever told you this: that's paranoia speaking, not common sense.

3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home