whistlestop caboose

The view from the back.

My Photo
Name:

www.zidao.com Apprentice harmonizer, for sheer fun. Journeywoman writer, for work and pleasure. Starting point was Iowa, current stopping point on this journey is Switzerland, with frequent pauses around the world to watch and listen to the crowd, and occasionally make comments.

www.flickr.com
Tulips 2006 for Gran ellengwallace's Tulips 2006 for Gran photoset

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

This is not an old Kodacolor shot


What makes this look like a 1959 Kodacolor shot? I remember the photos we used to take in the 1950s and 1960s, the way the colors looked. They seemed very true to life at the time, and then color printing improved. Those old pictures have blue oceans and lakes and skies of a particular hue, and the greens also have a strange falseness today.

I took several photos of the plane trees being cut back for the winter, in my town of St. Prex, and then turned in the other direction to take a photo of these leaves congregating and floating out to the middle of the lake. I was very surprised by the old-fashioned colors. I played with the image in Photoshop, increasing and decreasing contrast and lighting and so on, but it still looked like an old photo. I think we have November humidity to blame, but I'm not sure.

3 Comments:

Blogger Susie Vereker said...

Fantastic photos of food, of mountains, of everything Swiss.
Loved looking at them. Takes me back to my happy life there.

Susie Vereker
writer, 'An Old-Fashioned Arrangement', a new novel set in Geneva.

8:06 PM  
Blogger whistlestop caboose said...

Susie, thanks for visiting and I checked out your authors' group blog, very interesting. Feel free to come back and tell us how/where to get the book. You might also want to visit www.genevalunch.com, a news and resources site of which I'm the editor, up and running since June. It's designed for people in the Lake Geneva region, but we get a lot of visits from people who used to live in the area, who like to keep their fond memories up to date. Good luck with the novel.

9:04 PM  
Blogger Susie Vereker said...

Thanks so much, whistleSC. 'An Old-Fashioned Arrangement' is about the disastrous problems of a trailing spouse in Geneva and the incorrect way she solves them! A fun pacy read with more serious underlying themes. It's available on line at Amazon .uk and .fr and Stauffacher etc, and also in bookshop Off The Shelf, Plainpalais.

I hope to visit Geneva in the Spring - looking forward so much.
best wishes, Susie.

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home