whistlestop caboose

The view from the back.

My Photo
Name:

www.zidao.com Apprentice harmonizer, for sheer fun. Journeywoman writer, for work and pleasure. Starting point was Iowa, current stopping point on this journey is Switzerland, with frequent pauses around the world to watch and listen to the crowd, and occasionally make comments.

www.flickr.com
Tulips 2006 for Gran ellengwallace's Tulips 2006 for Gran photoset

Friday, June 23, 2006

Who can we shoot, and other tech woes


Water reflecting boats is nice; boats reflecting water is even nicer.

It's the end of a long week of technical woes, with Cablecom, our ISP heading the list of makers of unhappiness. My GenevaLunch news site has suffered badly from no Internet connections 4 of the last 7 mornings, when most news is posted. This is all due to maintenance, but the advance alert said 10-15 minutes, not 3-4 hours.

We have survived it and I used some of the time to take new photos for the banner for that site, which I have really enjoyed posting, late at night when the Internet was working!

The scrambled hours have meant, however, that I've fallen behind reading many other blogs I like to keep up with. Next week should be a different story since I've decided to work away from the office - Cablecom plans to keep "maintaining" things for another two weeks. Christopher in Hawaii wrote a thought-provoking piece about how hard it can be to deal with other people's reactions to our words, that I would like to comment on. I've been alerted to an interesting blog by a UK journalist who lost a foot in Iraq and now writes an anti-landmines blog, one of about a million things he does.

Meanwhile, while shooting pictures for GenevaLunch I had some discussions about my right to take photos. If the subject interests you, please visit my Tribune de Geneve blog.

The sun is shining, the mountains are beckoning, and guests will soon be arriving. Time to check the strawberry patch for this evening's dessert.

2 Comments:

Blogger Christopher C. NC said...

Technical troubles may come in clusters like those I experienced with my words. I have not been able to read about your right to take photos from the Tribune de Geneve blog. I get a page can not be displayed instead.

Blogger has not been accepting photo uploads in the last 24 hours and I was in the middle of a tour of a mountaintop meadow garden in North Carolina when it went down. That post will have to wait since you load the photo's in reverse. The tour has no beginning at this point.

My ISP and phone company is still not fully functional from the sale and transfer from Verizon to the infamous Carlyle Group.

Is this a sign of a computer woes pandemic?

They get you hooked on the free stuff and then they toy with you.

7:36 AM  
Blogger whistlestop caboose said...

Christopher, you're right about clusters and part of the problem is that when we get frustrated with technology we tend to make dumb mistakes! So I managed to put http twice at the front of the URL and of course bingo! no one could read it! Now fixed. I know several people who've had a bad tech patch and it now appears to be passing. I'm not a tarot card person like my friend Mary, but sometimes I'm tempted just because I wonder why we do get clusters! So let's all cheer up and remember that the free stuff has given us some good things, too.

6:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home