whistlestop caboose

The view from the back.

My Photo
Name:

www.zidao.com Apprentice harmonizer, for sheer fun. Journeywoman writer, for work and pleasure. Starting point was Iowa, current stopping point on this journey is Switzerland, with frequent pauses around the world to watch and listen to the crowd, and occasionally make comments.

www.flickr.com
Tulips 2006 for Gran ellengwallace's Tulips 2006 for Gran photoset

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Flowers after the storm

We had a very wild thunderstorm last night and this morning I tiptoed out to the garden in fear. Battered flowers, fallen stalks of fennel and tarrogon, at the very least.

I was wrong. Nature does a remarkable job of protecting its flowers, which look too delicate to survive wind, much less whale-like thrashing and blowing, which was what the storm brought us.

Here are the flowers that survived so neatly.

Note the happy bee. There were dozens of bees, so that this meadow was quite noisy.

Top to bottom: poppies and shasta daisies; columbine; daisy; rose; freesia; lily.

2 Comments:

Blogger christin m p in massachusetts said...

Thanks for listing the names of the flowers. Some, I recognize, but I like to learn the names of the ones I'm not familiar with.

Also, I was wondering whether you have any lily-of-the-valley plants -- I always enjoyed seeing them whenever I happened upon them while hiking in the woods.

4:28 AM  
Blogger whistlestop caboose said...

I had to laugh when I read this - my friend Susan gives me a hard time because I am terrible about remembering flower names. I had to apologize this weekend when taking visitors from the US on a tour of my garden flowers because most plants still have original sales tags on them (ooooh, tacky tacky tacky) but it's the only way I remember their names!

6:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home