whistlestop caboose

The view from the back.

My Photo
Name:

www.zidao.com Apprentice harmonizer, for sheer fun. Journeywoman writer, for work and pleasure. Starting point was Iowa, current stopping point on this journey is Switzerland, with frequent pauses around the world to watch and listen to the crowd, and occasionally make comments.

www.flickr.com
Tulips 2006 for Gran ellengwallace's Tulips 2006 for Gran photoset

Monday, April 17, 2006

Day off, day's end

Here is what I saw when I peered closely, in the dusk, at the rock garden flowers. Pulsatilla alpina, aka Easter flower or Paque flower, closes tightly at night and the little fine hairs on the outside protect this gem from frost and cold - the temperature still dips dangerously close to freezing here at night.

pulsatilla alpina


For the benefit of those who don't plant potatoes, we dig trenches, plant the little fellows, mound the dirt up around them and wait.

There is a mountain in the background.

And here, in case you agree that it's rather ugly, is what it looked like outside, when I stopped hoeing.

My family thinks this is possibly the most unattractive photo I've ever taken of our mountain home. I think it is like most snapshots, and that is fine. It shows the beauty and the story that lies beneath the surface image.

Here, then, are my newly planted potatoes, which of course you can't see. And for pleasure, afterwards, the nearby pond.


the pond, reflecting dusk sky


The clouds that are reflected in the pond