whistlestop caboose

The view from the back.

My Photo
Name:

www.zidao.com Apprentice harmonizer, for sheer fun. Journeywoman writer, for work and pleasure. Starting point was Iowa, current stopping point on this journey is Switzerland, with frequent pauses around the world to watch and listen to the crowd, and occasionally make comments.

www.flickr.com
Tulips 2006 for Gran ellengwallace's Tulips 2006 for Gran photoset

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Souvenirs and memory: Argentina's shoes

When the shoe fits . . .

I visited Argentina four years ago to write about international education there. I never found time to look for a little souvenir piece of jewelry, so I bought pale green strappy shoes. They were totally impractical ones that I fell in love with because they represented the me who would have liked to go dancing and be light on my feet like all the women I seemed to see in Argentina. Switzerland never feels the right place to wear these.

When I see them I always remember the shoes I really fell in love with in a school art room.

My apologies to the unknown artist, who should be given credit for this magnificent bit of footgear gone arty.

I especially liked her message, "I fit." Every teenager's dream.