whistlestop caboose

The view from the back.

My Photo
Name:

www.zidao.com Apprentice harmonizer, for sheer fun. Journeywoman writer, for work and pleasure. Starting point was Iowa, current stopping point on this journey is Switzerland, with frequent pauses around the world to watch and listen to the crowd, and occasionally make comments.

www.flickr.com
Tulips 2006 for Gran ellengwallace's Tulips 2006 for Gran photoset

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Bright chicks in Yunnan

Chinese chicks, dyed for fun


I was posting something about funkypancake's great bird photo when I suddenly remembered this photo, taken in July 2004 when I was in Yunnan, western China. I haven't looked at it since. The birds were chirping and scrambling around in this box, for sale at the bird market in Kunming, a bustling city. Children in particular loved them, and parents made a point of showing them to little people. Bringing an American-European sensitivity to treating animals well to the scene, I wondered and still wonder how they were dyed, if it harms them, if it is temporary or permanent. I have no answers, but it made me reflect not just on cultural differences, but on how quick we can be to judge - often wrongly - others who don't have the same sensibilities. In general, I would have to say I have seen as much love of birds in China as in many other places.

I still wonder how it was done. I don't suppose we can assume they were born like this?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home