whistlestop caboose

The view from the back.

My Photo
Name:

www.zidao.com Apprentice harmonizer, for sheer fun. Journeywoman writer, for work and pleasure. Starting point was Iowa, current stopping point on this journey is Switzerland, with frequent pauses around the world to watch and listen to the crowd, and occasionally make comments.

www.flickr.com
Tulips 2006 for Gran ellengwallace's Tulips 2006 for Gran photoset

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

A world of small Christmas tales: tatted hearts

1976, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

My father once mentioned that as a small boy his mother had taught him to tat, a form of lace-making with bobbins and thread that is rarely seen now. I tried to imagine what it looked like. My mother quietly went to her basket of mending and sewing and scraps and pulled out a small strip of lace that her mother, Grandma Lonergan, had made, perhaps 75 years earlier.

It took me another year to think of what to do with it. I made a Christmas tree decoration for my mother, a silk heart trimmed with her mother's lace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home