whistlestop caboose

The view from the back.

My Photo
Name:

www.zidao.com Apprentice harmonizer, for sheer fun. Journeywoman writer, for work and pleasure. Starting point was Iowa, current stopping point on this journey is Switzerland, with frequent pauses around the world to watch and listen to the crowd, and occasionally make comments.

www.flickr.com
Tulips 2006 for Gran ellengwallace's Tulips 2006 for Gran photoset

Friday, June 09, 2006

Summer!


We've just declared it summer! The lawn is mowed, some of the weeding is done, gin and tonic are on the shopping list and there is enough of last year's sun cream to get through a gloriously sunny, warm weekend, some of it in the hammock.

Too bad for those people stuck in front of the TV.

A little hello from our friends in the garden:

May everyone be cheered by June sunshine this weekend.

3 Comments:

Blogger christin m p in massachusetts said...

The daisies with their sunny little faces do seem to greet us. I don't think I've ever seen a flower I didn't love -- wild or cultured.

Your back yard looks a lot like ours. According to my landlord, past residents of our house planted all these pretty plants and flowers that keep coming back every year. I always appreciated the beautiful landscape at this property, but until I started visiting these blogs, I took its artisans for granted. I don't know why that is, as my Mom and my sister have always loved gardening, and both seem to have a knack for it. (Until very recently, I'd always been hyperactive -- I wasn't able to stay still long enough for gardening.) Now I appreciate the fact that people need to devote a lot of time to create these beautiful landscapes.

Two of our poppies bloomed on June 5th and 6th. (I can't believe I actually made a mental note of the dates.) The others stayed tucked into their fuzzy pods till yesterday. I think it's because they don't get the sun for as many hours of the day as the two at the corner of the house do.

Since the landscape in your part of Switzerland looks so much like ours, I'm wondering if the grow zone is the same. I'm pretty sure I'm in the 5b USDA grow zone. How do they chart the zones in Europe?

11:03 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love the yard and the hammock, something I completely miss right now! OH that was so nice in montreux!

6:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellen: Nice blog! I'll certainly be dropping by from time-to-time!

That Flickr photo of the Breithorn is faked - the photo has been rotated 45-degrees counterclockwise to accentuate the effect. In actuality, that hanging glacier sits comfortably on the summit - no "hanging" required.

I have done both, and believe me - driving in Geneva is much more dangerous and stressful than climbing the Breithorn via the route shown on that photo!

Sérac on Flickr

12:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home