whistlestop caboose

The view from the back.

My Photo
Name:

www.zidao.com Apprentice harmonizer, for sheer fun. Journeywoman writer, for work and pleasure. Starting point was Iowa, current stopping point on this journey is Switzerland, with frequent pauses around the world to watch and listen to the crowd, and occasionally make comments.

www.flickr.com
Tulips 2006 for Gran ellengwallace's Tulips 2006 for Gran photoset

Saturday, January 21, 2006

Summer in a jam jar


How we hold onto summer

The ladybug and the cactus

All creatures need to capture a bit of summer and hold onto it during cold winter days. This morning I remembered to water a long-dry and unattractive cactus plant. On it I found a little ladybug, or some cousin of hers, perched on a hidden cactus tip. She looked a bit drunk, so perhaps it is true that a cactus holds water, even in my house, long after it has last been given to drink.

The family and the raspberry jam

We capture summer by picking raspberries like mad in July, turning them into what I think is the world's best jam, then eating it all winter long. I like it best when the winter sun suddenly rises above the mountains and streams onto my table, lighting the berries the way it did early on July mornings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home